I recently just learned how to make this Filipino dish and I think I did a great job.
My mom has been making beef nilaga for years and it is one of my favorites. She gave me this recipe over our Skype chat and It actually turned out so delicious. Thank you Mom!
- 2 lbs beef ribs
- 15 cups of water or more
- 1 tbsp peppercorns, crushed
- 1 1/2 medium onions
- 2 Potatoes, quartered
- Green beans
- Salt to taste or fish sauce (patis)
- 2 bunches of bok choy or 1 head of cabbage
- Put beef in a large pot, about 1 gallon in size. Add water, peppercorns, onions.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour. Remove fat floating on the surface. It is best to do this part the day before so the fat can be skimmed off the next day.
- Add potatoes and green beans. Boil another 20 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Add salt to taste or fish sauce. Add the bok choy /cabbage. Cook another 5 minutes. Serve hot alone or with rice.
I have to “Confess” that my parents are the best cooks